Sunday, May 15, 2011

Students Helping Teachers

I asked my students to sign up for a new on-line discussion forum, wecollaborize.com, which seems to be better than the portal that I was using in that this one allows for posting images, pdfs and links directly into the discussion area so that students do not have to click back and forth.  I am still waiting to see how it works, and will certainly share that information along the way.

What I was happiest about was that one of my students took it upon himself to create a screencast to help his classmates along in the registration process.  This is a HUGE deal for me, because it has taken me the better part of the school year for my students to help each other in a tech assignment in this way.  This is not to say that my students have not collaborated on projects like this in the past, I know that they have and that those who have worked to help their classmates have made the integration of technology into the classroom much easier.  But this is the first time that the collaboration has become public.  I feel as if my classes have finally reached the "donate" phase of technology.  His screencast is below.




I can only hope that future students of mine are able to move to the donation phase of what I want them to do more quickly.  But big things come from small first steps.  Thanks Neil!!

No comments: