Friday, May 27, 2011

You Can Never Have Too Many Tools

Today was one of those days where I realized that you can never have too many tools to use with your students.  We are studying the Industrial Revolution and in my continuing efforts to "flip" my classroom, decided to use an Edsitement lesson plan on the strikes of the period.  I broke them to groups and they did the research using the primary source documents.  I had looked at the work earlier in the morning and thought that it would take much longer for them to complete the research.  All of the sudden, as I walked around the media lab, I realized that this was going to take much less time than I had planned and had to come up with something.  All of the sudden, a thought appeared in my head.  The students were going to have to present their findings at some point, so why not have them create a Google presentation that they could all work on and complete on their own at home if need be?  (In reading some of their blog posts later on, I discovered that not all of them remembered using the Google presentation feature earlier in the year.)  Most of them were able to finish the assignment and I will be able to share their work with everyone when we return next week.  I feel that I accomplished something today, being able to use the right tool at the right time to help my students showcase their work.

No comments: