Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Future Is Now

I, as much of the rest of the world, have been awestruck at the resolve shown by the 33 Chilean miners who have been trapped for so long underground.  Of course, the teacher in me sees this as an opportunity, not that I teach directly about Chile in my classes, but that I can express to my students the wonder of being able to watch all of this live on TV.  Apparently, there was originally supposed to be delay in the broadcasting of the miners arrival above the ground, but the Chilean president made the decision to have the broadcast made in real-time because Chile was sharing this moment with the rest of the world. 

As I have read recaps of this event, again from the world's newspapers, I have read about capsules made in Austria, drills from the United States, drillers from the United States via Afghanistan. 

When people discount the impact of technology in bringing this world closer together, in enabling 1.2 billion people (at least that is the figure that the translator just announced) to witness this incredible event, and ultimately in helping us learn about this bravery of the leader of this group and the miners themselves, they are refusing to see the forest for the trees.  

No comments: