Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lightbulb

One of the great things about teaching is the light bulb factor. I don't know if I am the first to use this term (I can't be), but watching it go off has got to be one of the greatest things ever about teaching. As I read my students' blogs, I am starting to see them ask questions not just about what has happened that day in class (which is what I have asked them to do in their blogs), but also what they think is going to come next. In my mind, this is what teaching is all about. I am watching students become life-long learners before my very eyes. They are not simply letting their education happen to them. They are beginning to take control of it and set their own direction. I could not be prouder of them. (And I have to include some teachers in this post as well, and you know who you are.)

2 comments:

Ms_Herzl said...

I agree, I love the light bulb moment. I've really been enjoying reading your students' blogs (some of them my former students) and seeing how much they've changed as a thinker and a student. Hopefully they'll keep up their blogs, and be able to look back and reflect on their own progress.

Thanks for the shout out. I'm fortunate to have such a great mentor.

Hali D said...

As odd as it seems that i'm commenting I had too. The title compeled my attention because my lightbulb just blew a fuse and I thought HEY! Anyway, I know exactly what you're saying and I feel that connection. You can see it in someone's face when they understand something, and I believe it's not only the pride you feel helping that thought evolve, but a form of self satisfaction. You helped someone understand, put the bases under their feet, and watched how they created their thoughts, and come to terms with all that they're proccessing.(yes I actually have serious thoughts, amazing)